Monday, November 3, 2008

An Indoor Campout - Kaela McWherter

An Indoor Campout

I was ready for a girls’ night in:
A night full of fun and randomness
Including the tent to be pitched
In the basement. That action in itself
Caused the problem in that getting the tent
Out of the attic caused
My literal downfall.

As I went for the tent in the dark, cramped attic
(Unable to see where I was stepping)
My friends heard my utter shock as the floor gave out
And I dangled helplessly above the garage.
As my friends rushed to help cushion my fall
I fell to the ground surrounded by insulation and shattered ceiling pieces
Staring blankly at the new lighting I had provided.

After a few stunned moments
My friends could not believe I was fine
(With the exception of my soon-to-be lovely bruised battle scars
That I would carry with me for several weeks)
And we laughed it off and continued
With our fun, and pitching off
The tent I worked so hard to get.
Allowing my newly discovered strength (both internal and external)
To carry me through and
Give me one night never to forget.

No comments: