Monday, September 8, 2008

Prerequisties - Peter Seiler

Prerequisites

The fluorescent lights were flickering
dim when about 60 of us yawning
vivaciously peer up to listen to an older man peering
back with beady and detail-hungry eyes.
We were about to begin covering in lecture what had been covered
so many time before and I was quietly pouring
for myself a half warm
cup of coffee from my dented thermos.
It was near 8:00 in the morning
and all the walls up down and around
seemed white washed almost discouraging
distractions with a cold but fatherly sort of discipline.
The man in the front of the room continues to flail
his arms attempting to reach to the class of disinterested
and unenthused students, I took another sip of coffee
and feeling more awake yet increasingly bored. . .
I have heard this lecture a thousand time before;
I can only crack a disdaining smile
in a heartfelt attempt to be listening
like a tired cat acknowledging his owner as he is being disturbed.
When we finally are dismissed
the notebooks and pencils and book bag zippers sigh
in relief as my comrades and I flee
before any more information need be entrusted to our persons.

No comments: